Friday, December 15, 2006

Tidings of Great Joy

I worked a Holiday party recently for Employment Horizons in New Jersey.

Employment Horizons is a company that provides work for its program participants who have a variety of disabilities, some physical, some mental, some psychological. These wonderful people do some very important work and take an immense amount of pride in what they do everyday.

So, I was scheduled to perform at their annual holiday party. They had a large room which had been converted to an open dance floor with a DJ. When I arrived, the party was in full force. The dance floor was crowded as well as the surrounding tables. I was announced over the PA system and immediately I had an enthusiastic crowd come over to me to experience magic first hand. I have to tell you--I have worked many, many gigs in my life--I have worked corporate events for some very high-profile people, have worked The White House for two Presidents--and have done several television shows in Britain but I don't think I have ever seen such enthusiasm AND more importantly--such Joy from one group of people. Their immediate joy was infectious and . . . contagious!!!

I cannot help but wonder . . . maybe here is the great lesson for humanity . . .

I met many people of all ages (from 18 to 70) and every single person was laughing and smiling
They welcomed me with open arms--literally--they shook my hand, patted me on the back, gave me hugs, even before they knew my name! Many came up to me to ask: "Was I okay? Did I need water? Did I want to to rest?" I spent an hour performing some of the best sleight-of-hand that I know. I could've easily worked all day for this audience.

After an hour--it was over--more events were scheduled at the party including a fashion show made up of the consumer products that are packaged there.

Returning home--I received this email from Elaine Berman:

"Thomas--I work at Employment Horizons where you performed today. I just wanted to let you know that I was so impressed by how well you worked with our clients. Your prescence and showmanship made the show so much fun for them (and for the staff as well). You are quite a talented guy. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy performing schedule to spend the morning with us."

Happy Holidays to all

Peace

1 comment:

John's Universe said...

Hey Dude!

Yeah, it is great when you do stuff like that for others, especialy ones who have needs, and they really appreciate it. There's a joy there in giving that all the money in the world can't give you. Just like when I worked in the orphanage in China- It felt like I got back more than I gave to those kids. Leaving there was one of the most difficult things I ever had to do.

Well, Happy New Year to you, from an ex-939 madhouse inmate in Malaysia.