Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year

It is 2007--can you believe it? It seems like yesterday it was 2000 and . . . before that . . . 1995 and . . . oh . . . I better stop. I am betraying my age. The weather here in New York is very strange--temperatures yesterday were in the 50s and are supposed to hit 60 degrees by this week--and this is friggin' January (?!) when the average temperature should be 37 degrees!!! People say I shouldn't complain--but I can't help but wonder--what all this climate change means. First you have Arctic Ice melting, snow in Las Vegas and unseasonably cold temperatures in Southern Europe. Pretty scary---

Even though it's not SUPPOSED to be 60 degrees in January, this would be the perfect weather for a handcuffed escape in the East River.

Performed New Years Eve for a very rich, very well-connected family. I have been in alot of beautiful homes, clubs, etc., etc.--but I think this home had to be near the top of the list. The foyer was covered in marble--the countertops slate, the rugs oriental, the floors parquet and on and on and on. In fact there were so many rooms in the house that many were left unfurnished. There was an unbelievable amount of food for a relatively small number of people. I performed in the hallway with my audience sitting on the bottom steps of a large winding staircase.

Very nice group of people--reacted to every effect I did by looking at one another and speaking in Ukranian!

Was asked today to consider writing a column for a new trade magazine called "Street Magic." When I expressed an interest, I was told that I would need to write an article about 'arrogance in magic.' On the surface, it sounds like a valid topic but as I considered accepting this job, I tried to envision this 1200 word article in my mind and I realized that all artists on some level are arrogant. I personally, have never met an artist who wasn't arrogant. I'm sure others have called me arrogant. So, I am still contemplating whether or not I will accept---

To those reading this . . . Happy New Year and may we have Peace On Earth.

No comments: