Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Oregon

Well, I'm back in NYC from a cross-country trip to Portland, Oregon to do a promotion for Cricket, a new cell phone company in the Pacific Northwest.

I mentioned this before--this was the event where I was to be fastened into a straitjacket and then be suspended upside down by my ankles from a crane 250 feet over the streets of Portland, Oregon. Days before the event, weather reports I checked on the internet were forecasting heavy rain and gusting winds in excess of 30 mph! As fate would have it, they were not wrong and with each passing day, the weather reports remained the same--windy and pouring rain.

Arriving in Portland on Sunday I began the preparations for the event which was to take place on Monday, 12 noon. A rehearsal was scheduled with the crane operator, Monday morning at 6:30am. We wanted to work before the sun came up so as to not draw attention since we were in the middle of the city. I left my hotel and walked the three blocks to the square in pouring rain--I mean, we are not talking about drizzle--we are talking pouring--like cats and dogs. The wind was whippin--probably about 20 mph--not exactly the best day to be hanging upside down from a crane.

At the square--I met the event promoters, photographers and the crane operators--it was determined that we would do a once-over before it became light. My ankles were secured in the rigging and I was hooked to the crane and due to the wind raised to 100 feet. Everything from below (they tell me) looked good so I was lowered down.

Fast forward to 12 noon--the event promotion is in full progress--there are tents filled with cell phone promotions, staff answering questions, food, live music, etc., etc. All of this mind you in the pouring rain?! Now, it is my turn. I am introduced by the MC and make my way to the stage. Two police officers take the leather and canvas straitjacket, examine it and then fasten me tightly into it. The stage, which is covered, keeps us all dry. fastened, I step off the stage down to the square into a cordoned off area in which sits a chair. With the rain pounding down on us--I sit down and have my ankles secured to the crane hook by my assistant. Slowly, I am raised 100 feet into the air--where I begin my escape.

As I look ahead of me--there is a sea of people--most wantching through the clear roofs of the large tents in the square. Office workers lined the windows of nearby office buildings. Photographers and news cameras film away while guests hold up personal camnera phones and snap pictures as the crane lifts me off the chair. At 100 feet--the MC calls for a countdown--and I begin--I do everything I can to get slack--the rain pours down in my face, my eyes, nose--the jacket is more difficult to manipulate cause its wet--everything is much harder because of the weather--wind blows rain sideways into my ears--and my hearing is now dulled--

I am told it took me a minute and a half to finally shed the jacket--I drop it to the street and take out a cell phone. From 100 feet up, I dial the number of Neil (Cricket's CEO) who stands on stage--He answers the phone. From 100 feet up (miked--so the crowd can hear) I say:
"Hey Neil--I've freed myself. Now, its time for Portlanders to free themselves
with Cricket."

Thuderous applause--end of show. I am lowered to the ground.














3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Thomas, Where are the pictures?

Thomas Solomon said...

Hi--

Pictures will be posted shortly--within the week.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing! Especially in the pouring rain. I really hope this helps you land even bigger gigs.