Monday, November 06, 2006

Another Day . . . Another Handcuff Defeated!!!

Yesterday, I was hired to work a show in Oradell, NJ. It was a large retirement party and the person on whom the party was thrown was retiring from a construction company after 40 years. When I was first hired, I was told this gentlemen was a huge fan of magic. Originally, I had a conflict with the date of their party--I was to be out-of-town doing my escape act. When I tried to bow out of this party--the organizers offered to change their date!? Now, this rarely happens--unfortunately much of the general public feels that magicians are interchangeable--that, "if you've seen one, you've seen them all." So, most people in this situation would just hire another magician, right?

When I questioned further, the real reason surfaced. Turns out this gentlemen, was a fan of escapes--not magic. He had heard of my show and knew (through publicity and various websites) that I would accept challenges to get out of various devices.

So, to make a long story short, they changed the date of their party and booked me to perform my Challenge Handcuff Act. For those who have seen it--it involves accepting handcuffs from the audience and escaping from them in full view of the audience. Yes, that's right--full view of the audience. I don't want to explain any further--since you must see it--to believe it.

Anyways, Jack (the subject of the party) brought some of his own handcuffs--three pairs actually. They were of Chinese origin with markings from the Chinese Government. As is my stipulation--I asked him if I could keep them if my escape was successful. He agreed . . . after some cajoling.

So, at 4pm the performance began--I usually go through an introduction of various restraints and their importance in history before we get to the spectator portion of the show. Finally, I brought Jack to the stage--he talked about the handcuffs and how he came into possession of them (turns out his brother was in the military and was stationed in Japan and received them from a friend who had been in China during the Japanese occupation in the late 1930's)

The handcuffs were rusted and difficult to operate. The key barely opened them and was rusted enough that on any turn it could break. Very carefully, he locked them on my wrists behind my back. I entered my cabinet obscura at about 4:30pm and began the escape.

They turned out to be easier than I thought and I was out in minutes--and with this I have three new additions to my handcuff collection.

Another day . . . another handcuff defeated.

No comments: